Herodes Atticus’ Odeion

On the way to the main entry, at the west end of the southern hillside, the visitor finds Herodes Atticus’ Odeion. (Tiberius Claudius Atticus H.) This great rhetorician, and consul of Rom, made build this three-storied, marble-revetted odeion in order to commemorate his wife in 161 a. C. Roofed with cedar wood, and could hold around 5,000 visitors in 32 ranges. Later, the stage was heightened, so that its wall’s height was equal to the upper ranges.

Herodes Atticus Odeion Herodes Atticus Odeion Herodes Atticus Odeion

After being destroyed by the Herulians in 268 a.C., the Odeion was excavated from 1848 to 1858, and renewed in the 20th century. It is still very well conserved today and therefore can be still used for plays and concerts. The orchestra’s semi-circle seems quite unusual. A reconstruction of the marble seats makes possible a use of the Odeion according to its original purpose.

In general, an odeion differs from a normal theatre because of its roof.




Akropolis Deutsch
 
© 2005-2019 - URL: www.akropolis.gr/en/herodes-atticus-odeion.php - Contact